Wednesday, October 17, 2012

How-to: Contour Like a Pro

How to Contour (and Highlight!) Like a Pro
If you haven't seen this on popular pin on Pinterest yet, what are you doing with your life? Only joking of course :)

Contouring is a well-kept secret of many makeup artists and can make a huge difference in the final result of makeup application. I use the NARS illuminator in Copacabana to highlight as it has a really beautiful sheen and iridescence which adds radiance to your face no matter how tired you are or beat up your skin is feeling. I have light skin, so to contour I prefer NARS blush in Douceur.

TIPS:
 - I apply highlighter and contouring after foundation application but before setting the final look with powder.
 - For those with a naturally oily t-zone, avoid adding highlight to your nose and forehead. Your skin's natural oils and texture will be enough.
 - Often I like to avoid adding highlights along the side of the lower jaw as demonstrated in the picture. I find that blending out the counter from below your cheekbones enhances the appearance of their structure and provides a nice contrast to the highlight above.
 - When adding contour below my cheekbones, I suck in my cheeks and make a fish face - where your cheeks suck in, apply your contour color.
 - Use a light touch when applying the highlight; a little will provide a lot of radiance!
 - I also suggest applying a light pop of colored blush to the apples of your cheeks - it pulls the look together and never goes out of style.

Give it a shot! Try new things until you find what works best for you - that's what playing with makeup is all about!!

No comments:

Post a Comment